10/17/09

Celeb's in DC & I

Working in downtown DC lends itself to rare obscure (not mainstream) Celebrity sighting. Past 2 years of lunch time or coffee break jaunts have presented people like Thomas Friedman, Bob Schieffer and Frankie Hejduk. One can only speculate, why these people are kind of obscure, which brings up the possibility that I might have seen many many more but not recognized, probably because of my limited info of who's who, and plain old habit of not reading or knowing enough. (is what I thought)

I would not have known that Frankie was a soccer "super star" in the US, playing for the US National team, had it not been for the friend & colleague, accompanying me, being a huge soccer fan. Her excitement was infectious and Frankie was gracious enough to talk to us and get his picture taken with her.

While all this was going on, yours truly, was truly confused. I had no clue as to the etiquette in front of celebrities. Should I, at least, pretend to be excited or pretend to not know what soccer is and why people make celebrities out of soccer players or show a passing interest. The last option made sense intuitively, so I ended up mumbling something like "I just watch soccer finals, only if it's Confederation, UEFA or FIFA, so I apologize if I fail to recognize you". (Intelligent hmmm!)

I was sought of shaken "but not stirred" from the experience, because I didn't know what to make of it. While kicking myself for missing the opportunity of a photo Op, I had my "look out for celebrities" senses on high alert for rest of the evening and "voila" I spotted Joe Biden's wife at the station.

Realization hit - that celebrity siting is related more to the TV channels, I watch, than what I read - MSNBC, CBS are proofs of the fact that the people I recognize show up on these channels often. Makes me wonder if I should expand my horizon and watch ESPN more!

No comments: